On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 12:20 PM, Michael Jones <michael.jo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 8:27 AM, <john.deig...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If I can't format my programs the way I want, and I much prefer putting
>> operators at the beginning of continuation lines for reasons mentioned on
>> this page, and "Perl Best Practices", I simply won't use the language - at
>> least not without implementing a pre-processor. Automatic semicolon
>> inserting is the worst thing about JavaScript. Please make it optional in
>> some way.
>

> The die has been cast. It usually takes two weeks for personal preference
> here to be forgotten. Hope you give it a good chance, as you'll have many
> positive benefits.

​I understand that it is oft-time better to approach a new language on its
own merits. Just like with a "human" language. You'll never learn language
ABC if you keep thinking in language DEF. I.e. think in DEF then translate
to ABC. You'll always end up doing something wrong because each language
has a different "mind set" or "world view".

Having said the above, this "auto insertion" of a semi-colon is a bother to
me too. Mainly because I like to write C code something like:

a = b
     + c ​
     + d
     * e
     ;

So that I can easily insert or remove a single line. This may well be due
to my advanced age (64!) and the fact that my original language was FORTRAN
which was punched onto 80 column card stock. The above did waste cards, but
made program changes very easy. In today's world of "full screen" editors
which can reformat and even refactor code upon demand, it is a relic of a
bygone era.

--
"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is
ancient. It's called 'rain'." -- Michael McClary, in alt.fusion

Maranatha! <><
John McKown