It will be tough to reproduce in an example as it's quite highly embedded
into a large project.

It does seem that moving away from pointers may help improve the situation
from what Egon has said.

I will try and capture the gctrace next week.  The graphs were obtained
from stackimpact.com which is embedded inside the binary.

The machine is a 2 core machine and GOMAXPROCS has not been changed
manually so it is the default.

GOARCH="amd64"

GOBIN=""

GOEXE=""

GOHOSTARCH="amd64"

GOHOSTOS="linux"

GOOS="linux"

GOPATH="/root/work"

GORACE=""

GOROOT="/root/.gvm/gos/go1.8.1"

GOTOOLDIR="/root/.gvm/gos/go1.8.1/pkg/tool/linux_amd64"

GCCGO="gccgo"

CC="gcc"

GOGCCFLAGS="-fPIC -m64 -pthread -fmessage-length=0
-fdebug-prefix-map=/tmp/go-build994225408=/tmp/go-build
-gno-record-gcc-switches"

CXX="g++"

CGO_ENABLED="1"

PKG_CONFIG="pkg-config"