On Tue, 9 May 2017, at 05:07 PM, Jesper Louis Andersen wrote:

>> I don't believe this is helpful to the questioner who was simply
>> explaining their understanding.>>
>
> A reference to cargo cults is useful insofar one should study why
> something happens rather than copying a hearsay. On the other hand, it
> doesn't give you much tooling: you can't solve the problem just by
> knowing you might have run into the cargo cult trap---which we all do
> from time to time.
Quite. But simply posting a link to wikipedia's page on Cargo Cult is
not helpful to newcomers from other languages and is belittling. The
OP's message was asking about Go. Their belief in some possible PHP
behaviour is irrelevant to the answer about Go's behaviour so no-one
needs to imply they are blindly copying patterns - after all they are
asking a question to find out more.
Let's take the time to be extra welcoming to newcomers.

Ian