I have a few such bug bears, so, my trick is to 'fix' fmt's helpful
services when I check a file out, and only run fmt automatically when the
file is committed to the repository.

This keeps my fugly habits out of the tidy fmt'ed space and at the same
time, keeps fmt's attempts to tickle my OCD safely away from me :-)

Think about this way:  because fmt enforces uniformity, you now have the
chance to have your code shaped *exactly* they way you like it, without
having to write too much formatting code to cover everyone's peculiarities.

Siduri