Hi,

I would like to understand a bit better one particular implementation
decision regarding the new sync.Map feature.

Besides having to introduce a new keyword to the language and some compiler
work, what were the other issues that pushed the implementation as part of
the standard library instead of the language itself?

And, obviously, since everyone is talking these days about Go 2, would
having a newer version of the language at some point in the future, maybe
Go 1.14, help in moving this from the standard library to the language?

The reason I ask is because the Go compiler / runtime already have a form
to express maps and ensure that, once a map is declared, the keys and
values will always be of the same type. The current sync.Map implementation
however allows for everything to be set as keys and values which means a
lot of type safety checks in the compiler are lost to the runtime.

If this was already discussed, can you please link to that discussion as
I've not managed to find it myself.

Thank you.