On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 6:20:00 PM UTC-6, Matt Harden wrote:

> "me": regarding purely functional programs, they can exist, but they can't
> actually "do" anything, since by definition, "doing" means altering some
> state in the outside world.

Then are they even a program? That sounds more like a math proof, not a
program... what is a program? Something that does something, programs
something... IMO..

> But reasoning as much as possible in a functional way, and expressing your
> programs in this way (again as much as possible), turns out to be very
> effective, because reasoning about a virtually limitless amount of shared
> state is extraordinarily difficult, especially in a concurrent program.

Unless there was no need for concurrency and in 1200 years or  50 years
there is a computer that can take any program designed in a non concurrent
way and run it in a millisecond.  I don't know the future of computing,
though, so concurrency could win the battle. An interesting area of
research would be whether quantum computer programs will be designed in a
concurrent way, or some other way altogether.