I don't fully understand the problem, but if you need a quick and dirty way
to ensure a function is called exactly once, you can always use a global
variable, have the function checks the variable when the function is
called. If the function is called the first time, it will set the variable.
If the function has been called more than once, it should panic and returns
the stacktrace.