On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 3:14:09 AM UTC-4, Henrik Johansson wrote:

> Sorry to but in but what happened to the whole logging initiative that was
> on going?
> Did I miss something about that? It seems very related to this.

That discussion took place in this thread:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/golang-dev/F3l9Iz1JX4g

Some proposals were drafted (links to them are in the above thread).
Proposal authors also had two conference calls to discuss and share ideas
and opinions. Notes from those meetings were recorded in these two
documents:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hovWbs19GvzfYDd-2RSYw4GN3h4vkbPUj_qO5cZa1uU/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IOaEPwmVZrvlCg5anWI0UC9yaZmihSiMvu6-471f8KY/edit?usp=sharing

I don't know if the last two links will work for everyone because of
permissions on the docs. I don't own the docs, so I cannot change the
permissions. I will try to get the owner to open the permissions for
viewing.

The general consensus (as I perceived it) was that logging use cases are
too diverse to make a standard interface that satisfies a wide enough
range. The group felt that persuading the community to treat logging as an
application concern and that libraries should return errors or provide
hooks rather than log directly. The last several slides of my talk (linked
to earlier in the thread) was my attempt to persuade/educate along those
lines.

Chris