I understand the the issue you are having. We had the same where we
differentiate between absent string and empty string.
It was messy with data from json but it worked.

I think "int?", Optional or Maybe are not as helpful in Go as they can be
in Java or perhaps C# since a small type with custom marshalling can make
this safe when needed.

That said, some standard way of denoting "absent" in cases with json or
protobuf (??) or xml would be nice.
How is this case catered to in for example gRPC?