 FirstName *string `json:"firstname"`
 LastName  *string `json:"lastname"`
 Email     *string `json:"email"`
 Phone     *string `json:"phone"`
 Ext       *string `json:"ext"`
}

I define contact...
var contact Contact

I put a query from the db such as and populate contact if no errors were
returned...
err := q.Scan(&contact.Id, &contact.FirstName, &contact.LastName, &contact.
Email, &contact.Phone, &contact.Ext)

Problem is... later I use this contact for something else in my code, and
get a nil object exception for contact.Ext because it was nil in the db and
doesn't actually contain anything... not even a "".

How do I check this field for nil before processing it so I can handle it?