Since *defer* "is the last thing to happen", I think this code is all right:

func something() (x int, err error) {
    watch err != nil {
        return
    }
    res, err = acquireResource()
    defer func() {
        if err == nil {
            err = res.Close()
        }
    }()
    err = abc1()
    err = abc2()
    err = abc3()
    err = abc4()
}

Also, I'd like to make a general comment (not specific to this case). The
*watch* command doesn't seem (to me) a bad idea. And it could be used for
other purposes too (e.g. as the "watch expression" feature in debuggers or
for logging---yeah we don't really need it...).

For instance:

func calculations() {
    x := 100.0
    watch x < 0 {
        fmt.Printf("hey, x is negative (%d)\n", x)
        fmt.Printf("...no worries...\n")
    }
    x = compute(1,2,3)
    x = compute(3,2,1)
    x = compute(1,3,2)
}

It's of course NOT needed at all. Above, we can do the same thing in a
different (probably better) way.

In fact, *Go is perfect the way it is* and doesn't need any change at all!

Also, the mechanics (implementation) of *watch* may be "impossible", "too
hard", "confusing" or at least "inefficient"---I don't know (no idea...).

With an opportunity to work on the Go language implementation, I would
rather spend some time tweaking things to be faster...

Cheers!
Dorival