On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 9:29 AM,  <u...@nilenso.com> wrote:

> From what I understand reading and a few comments from the gopher slack,
> this is because  go is not releasing memory back to OS but holds it for a
> longer in case it needs this, if that makes sense? It would be really
> helpful, if someone could help me understand this.

Yes, that is what the Go runtime does.  It requests the memory it
needs from the operating system.  Every five minutes or so it returns
unused memory back to the operating system.  You can make this happen
sooner by calling https://golang.org/pkg/runtime/debug/#FreeOSMemory .

Note that on modern operating systems unused memory is quite cheap.

Ian