I was playing around with the implementation of FieldsFunc from the bytes
package and I was wondering how it would affect the benchmarks to disregard
the extra slice that was used there to calculate offsets. It only made
sense that it would make things faster.

To my amusement (although expected), it didn't. But I'm quite curious why
one is faster than the other and if this reveals any good practices when
working with similar algorithms. The benchmark and diff I am talking about
can be viewed here:

https://github.com/gbbr/go/commit/2f6e92bc746fa232f2f2aea66dae3fa0c04700a5?diff=split

Many thanks for looking!