AB is using HTTP/1.0, so it isn't able to do keepalives and it may be the
case that you're really benchmarking your TCP stack, instead of your
webserver... as TCP connect is probably the bottleneck here :) Not sure how
it works under the hood, but enabling tcp_reuse, and tcp_recycle might
improve the results for ab, which are irrelevant anyway.

Basically this seem related to HTTP/1.0 being outdated, so it isn't able to
handle large amount of connections between 2 points well. We had same
characteristics, seen in logs - untill we enabled keepalive and HTTP/1.1
for our micro-services.