I suggest just using a self-signed cert for your LB<->appserver and
disabling cert-checking in your LB. Should be relatively straightforward;
you can even have your appserver generate a cert on startup, so there's
less messing around with files required.

It'll give you http2, and also cheaply protects you from passive
eavesdropping.

If you don't trust your network (e.g. your traffic is going over the
internet), you can setup a private CA to also protect you from active
eavesdroppers and/or tamperers; cfssl makes this relatively
straightforward, you just need to create some JSON files.
See
https://blog.cloudflare.com/how-to-build-your-own-public-key-infrastructure/
for copy-pastable examples.
My friend and I have used the exact same JSON from that blogpost in a very
similar circumstance to the one you describe, and it was maybe 20 minutes
of messing around before we had private/public keys for LB and appserver
(plus a CA for each side, so that we could support multiple replicas of an
instance without them sharing a cert) .