It was stated earlier in the thread that tip was using
xorshift32+multiplication. I assumed that was what you were saying that PCG
was not faster than. I have not tested myself but I have no reason to
disbelieve the results on the PCG site. It's a red herring to compare
against xorshift128+ or xoroshiro128+, as that is not what's (said to be)
used at tip currently. I mistakenly left out the "32" when referring to it.
Admittedly the specific kind of PCG was not stated either, which would be
important for any comparison.

This is not an area that I claim to have much knowledge of; it just
appeared to me that you were dismissing PCG without citing evidence when my
cursory review suggested that it did have advantages.