Hello Jason
Can you give us a bit more details about the components in your architecture?
>From what I understand you have a go backend, a GCS bucket, and a client.

So far, I've had best results for performance, security and simplicity with
this combination:
- backend generates a Signed upload URL [1] and gives it to the client ;
- client makes a PUT request to the signed URL ;
- client keeps track of number of bytes sent, to display progress.

This is easier if the backend is itself hosted in GCP.
The client can be a web page, a mobile app, or anything else, and it doesn't
need to handle secret keys.
I tried several ways and so far I observe better results when the file doesn't
transit through the backend, but rather it is uploaded from client to GCS.

[1] https://godoc.org/cloud.google.com/go/storage

HTH
Cheers
Valentin