On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 11:20:31 AM UTC-8, Walter Schulze wrote:

> Hi JT please see my inline replies.
>
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 at 19:05 <thebroke...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> Thank you, Walter, for your support.
>>
>> > gogo/protobuf is disappointed that golang/protobuf still thinks that
>> runtime reflection is an efficient way of serializing structures.
>>
>> The table-driven implementation avoids reflect in the fast and common
>> path. Instead, are you referring to the fact that we don't perform
>> full-code generation of Marshal/Unmarshal like what gogo/protobuf does? We
>> are aware that full-code generation will often out-perform the table-driven
>> approach we took. However, full code-generation drastically bloats the
>> binary size when you have many proto messages linked in. Keeping the binary
>> size smaller was an important design decision for us and seemed to be a
>> better default.
>>

> Yes, I was referring to the speed of code generation over runtime
> reflection.
> What I struggle to understand is why the optimize_for file option that is
> part of proto 2 and 3 is not considered by golang/protobuf as a way to
> specify when code generation should be used over runtime reflection.
> This seems to work for most other languages, including Java, which I heard
> is quite popular among real software developers.

Note that the code-generation approach used by other languages (mostly
C++/Java) has its own problem. Mostly because of the tight coupling among
generated code, runtime and embedded sub messages (generated by a different
party using a different version of protoc). These problem don't exist
inside of google as we use a single repo build system, but it cause
significant issues in opensource. For instance, Hadoop is still shipping
protobuf v2.5 generated code which is incompatible with later version of
protobufs. All the projects using Hadoop are then version locked to v2.5,
as an upgrade in any project (including Hadoop itself) will break the
build. Version upgrade can only happen when all the transitive dependency
closure upgrade together atomically.

We solve this problem in protobuf-java v3.0+ by introducing ABI
backward/forward compatibility guarantees on generated code and runtime.
However, this introduced lots of overhead on code maintenance, reduced
development velocity and limited the change we could do.  We are now
solving the issue by introduce table driven to Java. The recent benchmark
result showed performance on par for android platforms, and hopefully we
can release the new implementation in a few months.

For Go, if we are going to introduce full generated code, I'd strongly
recommend considering those complications. Major version bump is also
expensive for protobufs as all the dependency libraries would have to bump
their major version too.