Have you considered using the new type alias feature introduced in 1.9?
Line so:

https://play.golang.org/p/6HK8qcuh9UU

This would allow you to change the type of the map in a singe place (the
type alias) and all the *{}* or *make *would adapt appropriately.
Disclaimer: I am not espousing this style, just pointing out that it is
possible.