Unless I'm misunderstanding something, that kind of string concatenation
looks dangerous to me.

I'v been doing a bit of digging...

Turns out there is a DSL that looks like what I'm looking for: the Lucene
query syntax <https://lucene.apache.org/core/3_6_0/queryparsersyntax.html>.

Some variant of it is even specifically designed to be opened up to direct
user input it seems.

However I don't really want to duplicate data to a search DB like
elasticsearch (or bleve), as it seems overkill for the size of the dataset,
and SQL will be perfectly fine for query performance.

I also stumbled upon this interesting article:
http://www.recursion.org/query-parser/

The author advocates building a custom parser, for domain flexibility,
performance and security, basically what I'm looking for it seems.

Although this is ruby code, and the queried DB is elasticsearch, and not an
SQL database, the same concepts apply.

I've looked around, but haven't found any library that would take a lucene
like query syntax as input, and generate some kind of SQL abstraction as
output.

*Benjamin Thomas*