A minor side comment:

On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 12:47:11 PM UTC-4, thepud...@gmail.com wrote:

> from golang/tools eg help via
> https://github.com/golang/tools/blob/release-branch.go1.10/refactor/eg/eg.go#L20
>
> Only refactorings that replace one expression with another, regardless
> of the expression's context, may be expressed.  Refactoring arbitrary
> statements (or sequences of statements) is a less well-defined problem
> and is less amenable to this approach.

The latter used to be my life, and we adressed it with tools to make
applying human judgement easy. Eg,  "port -- a program to strength-reduce
the task of porting from *defusing live bombs* to something much more like
*fixing
compilation errors*", at https://github.com/davecb/port

The same can be applied to Go, as you'd guess, but is a much different
problem than we have here.