Regarding this statement.

> THE AUTHORS OF THIS SOFTWARE DID NOT INTENTIONALLY MAKE MISTAKES OR
> INCLUDE PRACTICAL JOKES

If you place software out in the wild, and you have a LICENSE with no
warranty and indemnification and terms of service and imprint

   - You are not protected from frivolous law suits.
   - You are not protected if your actions were willful and malicious, or
   careless or negligent.
   - You are not protected if you try to represent yourself pro se
   - You are not protected if you are too broke to fight it in court.

If you do go to court and your attorney is computer savvy, he may
demonstrate to the judge that there was a legal binding agreement that the
damaged party had to have been aware of when visiting the web site or
repository where the software was obtained. Most judges will seize upon
such proof to dismiss a case or rule in your favor. Especially if your
attorney testifies (inappropriate) that the agreement was one he drafted,
or reviewed for fitness.

It is not necessary to state up front that you are not willful and
malicious, or careless or negligent. Society expects that from you anyway.

This is not to be considered legal advice, it is just a personal
observation.

For specific legal advice you should consult with your families attorney in
your jurisdiction.

I once wrote a small program for a company on spec, it was too small for a
formal contract. What I did for my own protection was to prepare a shrink
wrap license that required them to scroll down and click OK before
installing. When I went back a couple of weeks later to see if they like
the utility program, they were very happy, until a gave them a hard copy of
the license agreement. I had included a clause that if they used the
program for more than one week they were obligated to provide me additional
compensation in the form of lunch at my favorite restaurant. They thought
it was a funny joke. I did get a fancy meal from them as we discussed the
dangers of becoming obligated because of not reading the fine print.

You should be aware that if you do something as simple as putting your
resume on the Internet and getting a programming assignment from Germany,
you could be in for a stiff fine if you have not complied with their local
regulations regarding imprint. If you have any contact with the EU and you
fail to comply with their privacy laws then as a US citizen you may be
considered in violation of treaty, big fine. The US is not the only place
where the legal system can get oppressive.