Looks like a bug to me. I would suggest you open an issue.

It is not clear to me what the intended behavior is. It is documented that
examples strip some white space when comparing output. So it may be
intentional that multiple white space lines are removed from the expected
output. In that case, IMO, the bug is that the same transformation is not
applied to the output before comparing. Conversely, it is possible that the
removal of the blank lines is the bug.

That said, since examples are documented to "strip white space", I would
remind you to also write actual tests, if the white space of the results
matters to you.