For "global" installs of a tool via go (get|install), this is indeed a
critical feature and is covered by
https://github.com/golang/go/issues/24250. ("global" is defined as:
outside of a module context (i.e. no go.mod), with GO111MODULE=on)

Within a module context, i.e. with a go.mod present, go (get|install)
will just work. In a GOPATH context it will also work.

The solution for now is to: GO111MODULE=off go get something, and this
will put the binary in $GOPATH/bin