I think you need to have a main module defined so there must be a go.mod in
cwd or upwards in the directory tree, perhaps also with related .go files
(not sure).

There are some issues such as this one
<https://github.com/golang/go/issues/27233> where usage is confusing due to
a lack of a main module.  They are marked needs fix and go1.1.2. I think
your use case is related.  I haven't had a problem with that one because I
just set up my workflow to run tests where there are go.mod files.

Best,
Scott