On Fri, Nov 23, 2018, at 17:06, Jay Ts wrote:
> Nowadays I use vim
> because there are a few nice things about it that aren't in vi. At least,
> vim is ok after you turn off syntax highlighting and all the other newbie
> crutches. :-P Seriously, how many people can't read or write in English (or
> their native language) if the verbs, nouns, and prepositions are the same
> color? I don't get it.

Okay, I'll bite: Anyone can still read code without syntax highlighting, it
doesn't provide any information that's not already there. It just provides
another dimension of visibility to that information so that you can make
certain judgements quicker. If the compiler gives you a worthless error message
and you don't know why something isn't working, you might be able to see at a
glance that a multi-line string isn't terminated when everything is in string
color instead of scrolling up several hundred lines wondering why it said the
file ended early. It's not a crutch, as it probably doesn't help you if you
can't walk already.

—Sam