I was not responding to it being or not being metaprogramming, just the
implication that go generate commands were provided some sort of special
access. They do not have any access to parsed syntax trees - they can
themselves parse source files and thus create syntax trees. On re-reading,
I can see how your description still fits, I was reading an implication
into it that is not actually stated in the text. Mea culpa.

Howard