Hi Mahendra, allow me to point something, as far i can see on this matter,
there are two things i would like to address separately:

1) Making a REST API for you application (that can be accessed through http
(e.g: an app running in a web server) or, why not?, locally (e.g: an app
running that uses stdin for receiving input)).
2) Long running task that executed in background, that may be canceled or
query about it progress.
2.BIS) Making (2) part of the language elements so the devs have a solution
at hand for dealing with something that is not trivial [I follow the
conversation i saw that there is a debate over it, if i have to code less
then i accept!! :P)

*Key points*
** I don't see why you need to approach both things at the same time. *
For (1) i will *strongly *suggest to read this article
<https://dzone.com/articles/common-rest-design-pattern>, it really helps me
when i face my first set of entry-points (or end-points). I do know that is
not easy to define an URL with a name that is accordenly to the business
domain and that provides granular access to the data that the client may
require.
* For start i would suggest to use the prefix "/api/v1/" for each URL that
maps to an end-point.
* Then you should start by providing the more granular points for getting
data, thus allowing the client to combine the data according to the UI/UX
needs (assuming that is a client app elsewhere)
* For (2) you will find that the article i suggest above
<https://dzone.com/articles/common-rest-design-pattern> has a suggestion
for dealing with them, a solution that is langauge agnostic (serach for
"Transaction Resource"), so i guess that would be a good starting point to
think how to design the system not attached to a library instead attaching
to bussiness domain logic that shall be reflected in the solution domain.

Hope you can understand what i'm trying to explain and really hope that it
helps a little at least.
Greetings