So I noticed this post: https://blog.golang.org/appengine-go111

And especially noticed this part:

Furthermore, the application code is completely portable—there are no ties
> to the infrastructure that your application is deployed on.

So I wanted to try it out! Just to keep things simple, I revisited
https://golang.org/doc/articles/wiki/ just to get back to basics.
I attempted to make really simple highscores for a game:
1 json file,POST score, GET summary

But once I ioutil.WriteFile gets called...

SaveAs :: unable to save scoreboard to file :: open first.json: read-only
file system

and then I realized...

The runtime includes a writable /tmp directory, with all other directories
> having read-only access. Writing to /tmp takes up system memory.

https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/go111/runtime

So that explains the writing-file issue.
Perhaps I'm attempting to use app engine for something it wasn't designed
for?

seems like overkill to use a VM instance or a database for something this
simple.

Anybody got some advice?