Can you accomplish what you want with module vendoring? Before I set up my
own Athens proxy, I was using that to avoid DDOSing github in my build
automation, and it seemed to work fine. Your first pipeline step could
vendor in all the modules, and subsequent pipeline steps would use those.

-- Marcin