Hi Robert,

Sorry for the confusion. Our changes are to make byte-addressable persistent
memory support available to Go community. You can find more information about
this technology here:

1. http://pmem.io/

2.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/optane-dc-persistent-memory.html

>>> I think the project needs to be distributed as a patch to the Go codebase -
>>> too much to review/maintain for security controls.

We eventually plan to distribute our changes as patches to Go codebase, but
before we do that we wanted to gather feedback here šŸ˜Š

>>> Also, Iā€™ve used pmem for a very long time (I have a bg in retail point of
>>> sale systems where it is very common) and we always had a driver/library on
>>> top of the physical device to multiplex across consumers, and we used it
>>> from Java, and never needed specialized JVM to use it efficiently. Again,
>>> just curious, maybe the use cases have changed.

The recent technological changes have put this technology close to the access
speeds of DRAM,  while retaining the persistence property. Quoting from the
blog<https://blogs.vmware.com/opensource/2019/04/03/persistent-memory-with-go/>
post in Jerrinā€™s original e-mail:

ā€œAd hoc libraries often provide a difficult programming interface. As memory
management for RAM has increasingly become a part of programming languages, we
believe managing persistent memory should be addressed in the same manner. And
so, our programming model includes changes to Go itself ā€.

There has been a lot of work around this technology in the past few years,
including efforts to change
C<https://csmd.ornl.gov/pub/nvl-c-static-analysis-techniques-efficient-correct-programming-non-volatile-main-memory-systems>
 and Java<https://arxiv.org/abs/1710.09968>, and adhoc libraries for
C/C++<https://github.com/pmem/pmdk>, Java<https://github.com/pmem/pcj> and
Python<https://github.com/pmem/pynvm>. These changes are our efforts to make
persistent memory accessible to Go developers.

Thanks!
Mohit

Also, Iā€™ve used pmem for a very long time (I have a bg in retail point of sale
systems where it is very common) and we always had a driver/library on top of
the physical device to multiplex across consumers, and we used it from Java,
and never needed specialized JVM to use it efficiently. Again, just curious,
maybe the use cases have changed.

On Apr 3, 2019, at 5:47 PM, Robert Engels