> David Riley <fraveyd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> same potential for abuse (no one is gonna stop you from nesting expressions).

Yes, but only assuming it were implemented as an expression.

However, if it were instead implemented as an “if-assignment" statement?

result := if temperature > 80
   then "red"
   else "green"

Having it be a statement instead would not address what everyone wants, but it
would solve the excessive verbosity of referencing “result” three times and
having to explicitly declare its type, or having to assign to it only to have
its value immediately overwritten:

var result string
if temperature > 80 {
   result = "red"
} else {
   result = "green"
}

And it would do those things without the downsides mentioned thus far in this
thread.

-Mike

P.S. And for me personally, it would help reduce the carpel-tunnel flareups I
get from having to type so damn many shift-brace keystrokes.  :-)