On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 9:26 PM Ian Lance Taylor <i...@golang.org> wrote:

> One of my guidelines for an acceptable generics proposal is that
> people can write Min and Max.  Your proposal admits that it doesn't
> permit that.  I think that is a problem.  I'm fine with the general
> idea of "do 80% of the job" but in practice people really do want to
> write Min and Max.  I think they are part of the 80% that needs to be
> handled, not the 20% that can be omitted.

 At some point we should decide if a 90% solution is possible at all and if
not, maybe a 80% solution is what we should aim.

This proposal is very interesting and seems to fit nicely into Go, with
minimal disruption. And speaking personally, it would cover 99% of my needs
for generics (I'm not that interested in Min/Max, but writing functions to
get map keys gets old fast).