On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 5:17 PM Andrey Tcherepanov
<xnow4fippy...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

> I understand that it is very easy on application level... if programmer even
> thought about it. But my assumption is that compiler has some sort of
> liveness analysis, and it could be utilized here just to help with disposal
> of a bitten part.

The kind of liveness analysis done by the compiler is only helpful in
extremely limited circumstances: when the compiler can track the slice
from creation to destruction and when the slice never escapes in any
way.  I'm skeptical that such a case happens often enough to be worth
implementing.

(And even if we did implement it we would still have the
above-mentioned problem that the allocator doesn't support discarding
part of an allocation.)

Ian