For those who haven't already noticed, I thought I'd point out that the
draft design has now been changed (as Ian intimated it might be) so that
contracts may now require a pointer method in some cases i.e. if the type
parameter is T one can now specify that *T has a certain method.

In particular, this will be needed if an implementing function is declaring
a variable of type T but you then need to invoke a method on it where the
receiver type is *T. To understand why this is so, one needs to re-read the
design paper which has some examples of why the previous situation didn't
work.

Looked at overall I think this is a better idea than what I was proposing
earlier, though it might be difficult for folks to get their heads around
the circumstances when and why a pointer method is needed. However, as it's
probably a situation which will arise infrequently in practice, it should
not be a major concern.

Alan