> Hi, I wanted to try gio this week, and after a lot of work getting
> kde-plasma v5.14.3 working on Wayland (Funtoo x86_64), I now have hit the
> same issue here:
>
> https://git.sr.ht/~eliasnaur/gio/tree/master/ui/app/os_wayland.go#L1134
>
> "wayland: no xdg_wm_base available"
>
> I'm a newbie to Wayland -- what does this mean and what component needs
> upgrading?

I'm sorry that you had to go through all that work. If its any
consolation, there is progress on the X11 port over at
gioui.org/issue/8.

In the shorter term, I'm not sure why the xdg_wm_base is not available
in your version of Plasma. According to

        https://phabricator.kde.org/D13510

and

        http://blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blog/my-month-in-kwinwayland/

        "...KWin 5.14 will have support for XDG WM Base..."

the xdg_wm_base extension should be available in the version you run.

Is there a chance you might be running the Weston reference compositor?
Being a reference implementation, it lags behind on the desktop-oriented
features. For example, you need Weston 6.0 to get xdg_wm_base support.

If you can, please post a dump of running a Gio program with
WAYLAND_DEBUG=1 set. That dump should reveal whether it is really your
compositor lacking xdg_wm_base or a Gio bug.

-- elias