> similar sentiments.

I concur!

See also https://github.com/golang/go/issues/26640, recently reopened,

2020-02-01 22:50:27 időpontban Tamás Gulácsi <tgulacs...@gmail.com> a
következőt írta:

> See the "replace" directive of go.mod.
>     replace my/pkg => ../../my/other/pkg
> Will use that other pkg instead of my/pkg.

This still is mostly manual labor, a source of discrepancies and a mess
comparing
to the GOPATH established flows — it feels especially at early development
stage.

The flow I would like to have on the belt:

1. set GOPATH, then experiment freely having at hand **all** needed 3rd party
 and __all_of_my_own__ production sourced locally. The go.mod exists but is
empty.

2. In rare cases experiments need not the tip of some package, use go.mod.local
not to 'replace' but to pin version/commit only.

3. go mod tidy && go mod release # make the go.mod as of current package shape
  commit && tag && push              # publish, fix version, possibly make to
the modules cache

--
Wojciech S. Czarnecki
 << ^oo^ >> OHIR-RIPE