They had said they were generating almost no garbage.

If that is true, I suspect they could have avoided the 2-minute forced GC
by running with GOGC=off, or alternatively executed SetGCPercent(-1)
(https://golang.org/pkg/runtime/debug/#SetGCPercent) to disable the GC
programmatically after reaching steady-state.

Perhaps what would have worked for them. If needed, perhaps they could have
also had a helper goroutine that ran, say, once an hour to run runtime.GC()
manually, or once a day or whatever frequency might have seemed rationale
based on their workload.

I suspect that would have been sufficient as a simple workaround?

thepudds