I posted this earlier but I realised that the code had a fundamental error
in it. I've corrected here it but the underlying problem still exists.

I've recently started using go test's benchmarks support and I'm
particularly interested in understanding the benchmark timer functions.
I've been getting results that I found surprising and I was wondering if
anyone could explain what's going on here.

The code below has three benchmarks that each invoke a single function
(foo). The implementation of foo isn't important, it's just there to
consume some time:
- foo is called once per iteration in Benchmark1.
- It's called twice per iteration in Benchmark2 so I'd expect Benchmark2's
duration to be nominally twice that of Benchmark1.
- It's also called twice per iteration in Benchmark3 but the first call is
wrapped in b.StopTimer and b.startTimer calls. Because of this I'd have
expected Benchmark3 to be about the same duration as Benchmark1

Apologies for the length of the example but I didn't think it fair to ask
the question and leave anything out.

package demo_test

import (
"strconv"
"testing"
)

var Foo1 []string
var Foo2 []string
var Count int = 32767

func Benchmark1(b *testing.B) {
for i := 0; i < b.N; i++{
Foo1 = foo(Count)

func Benchmark2(b *testing.B) {
for i := 0; i < b.N; i++{
Foo1 = foo(Count)
Foo2 = foo(Count)

func Benchmark3(b *testing.B) {
for i := 0; i < b.N; i++{
b.StartTimer()
Foo1 = foo(Count)
b.StopTimer()
Foo2 = foo(Count)

func setup(count int) []string{
testData := []string{}
for i:= 0; i < count; i++ {
testData = append(testData, strconv.Itoa(i))
}

return testData
}

func foo(count int) []string{
testData := []string{}
for i:= 0; i < count; i++ {
testData = append(testData, strconv.Itoa(i))
}

return testData
}

When the benchmarks are run the results are as follows:

Benchmark1-4         394           2980022 ns/op
Benchmark2-4         196           6113018 ns/op
Benchmark3-4         404           2987882 ns/op
PASS
ok      bar.com/benchmarks      6.671s

OK benchmark3 is a little slower than Benchmark1 but that's not what's
bothering me. It's this: if I now change Count to something much smaller
the results are a surprise, at least to me. Here are the results when Count
= 8:

Benchmark1-4     2600461               460 ns/op
Benchmark2-4     1284936               916 ns/op
Benchmark3-4      705234              1423 ns/op
PASS
ok      bar.com/benchmarks      18.102s

The ratio of timings for Benchmark1 and Benchmark2 are roughly in line with
expectations but I was surprised to see that the timings for Benchmark3 are
now larger than those for Benchmark2.

Can anyone explain this?

TIA
Orson