Hi everyone,

I wanted to reply here to acknowledge the feedback on this thread. I hear
those of you who are uncomfortable with the banner, and I appreciate the
honest and mostly constructive discussion here.

As the Rust team said well, tech is and will always be political, not in
the sense of political parties but in the sense of affecting societal
decisions about how opportunities and resources are allocated. The actions
we take or decide not to take unavoidably affect who has the opportunity to
learn Go, not to mention the opportunities that working as a Go developer
can bring. Last November when Go turned 10 I wrote
<https://blog.golang.org/10years> that “what we’re most proud of about Go
is not a well-designed feature or a clever bit of code but the positive
impact Go has had in so many people’s lives.” We must not be blind to the
fact that the impact on people’s lives is not equally distributed – not as
widely available as it can or should be. Through actions like adopting a
Code of Conduct and supporting organizations like GoBridge, the Go team and
the Go community have for years promoted efforts to broaden Go’s reach and
stand up for all gophers – and I will quote from the Code of Conduct here –
“regardless of gender identity and expression, sexual orientation,
disabilities, neurodiversity, physical appearance, body size, ethnicity,
nationality, race, age, religion, or similar personal characteristics.”

The banner on our sites is a continuation of that effort, recognizing that
at this moment:

   - There are problems and inequities affecting gophers that extend far
   beyond what we can reach with things like a Code of Conduct or additional
   training opportunities.
   - There is a societal reckoning going on here in the United States, of a
   scale that hasn’t happened in over 50 years, that may lead to real change
   for many current gophers and hopefully many more future gophers.
   - It is important to lend our voices to these efforts, both to support
   our community members and to help influence those societal decisions I
   mentioned. Not speaking up, like not adopting a Code of Conduct, is a way
   of saying everything is fine the way it is. Everything is not fine.
   - Gophers may want to help but not know where to start. Donating to the
   Equal Justice Initiative is only one possible way, but it is a concrete
   specific action. (As others pointed out, EJI is a well-respected non-profit
   not affiliated with a U.S. political party.)

I gladly credit other open source projects, including React, Express, and
OpenTelemetry, for leading the way and inspiring us on the Go team to add
this banner. We are happy to join them in making this important statement
and specific suggestion.

To people who object to the banner as too focused on the United States:
Google and Go both started here, nearly all of the Go team is here, a
substantial number of Go community members live here, and many others
travel here for conferences or other reasons. The situation here affects
gophers worldwide.

To people who think technology can be apolitical or neutral: let me say
that when I started working on Go over a decade ago I thought the same
thing. If you’re not the one being discriminated against – if the playing
field is tilted in your favor – it is very easy not to notice that fact. If
you are interested in an honest, critical examination of that belief, let
me recommend reading this essay by Peggy McIntosh
<https://nationalseedproject.org/Key-SEED-Texts/white-privilege-unpacking-the-invisible-knapsack>
and
then spending the next week building a similar list of examples specific to
the tech industry.

Posting this banner on our web sites, affirming that Black Lives Matter and
suggesting one possible concrete action to help, is almost literally the
least we can do in support of the (far too few) Black gophers in our
community. The discussion on this list has at times gotten a little heated,
but I hope that it prompts at least a few gophers reading along to become
more aware of these real problems and hopefully to think about ways to help
make change. If so, the banner is working as intended.

Best,
Russ