It is a type which cannot be inhabited by a term. These exist and often
have uses. As Bryan wrote they also completes the type lattice, so
rejecting them is often a lot of work for little gain.

If you want examples, look up phantom types, where an uninhabited type is
used as a tag for ensuring compile time restrictions.