On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 7:34 PM <netconnect.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an application where I will be allocating millions of data
> structures, all of the same size. My program will need to run continuously
> and be pretty responsive to
> its network peers.

I'd recommend quantifying "pretty responsive" in this case. Chances are you
can get away with not doing anything at all, depending on the requirements.

Go currently employs a concurrent garbage collector, which typically enjoys
very small pause times (less than 500 microseconds). You might be able to
use it to fulfill your goals, without having to resort to extra work. That
said, the more pointers your data have, the more work has to be done to
scan, so the structure of your data matters as well. Knowing a bit about
that data would help since you can often structure it in ways that are
efficient.

So the TL;DR version is: the work you have to do is exponential to how
efficient you have to do it. Chances are you have to spend a lot of time to
optimize. So make sure you have a need for optimization, before you start
doing it.