I am not certain but the reason probably is the change to go-routine preemption in 1.14. From https://golang.org/doc/go1.14#runtime
Goroutines are now asynchronously preemptible. As a result, loops without function calls no longer potentially deadlock the scheduler or significantly delay garbage collection. This is supported on all platforms except windows/arm, darwin/arm, js/wasm, and plan9/*.

Before that busy loops in go routines needed a function call to be preemptible.

Hope that helps!