I’d really like to see an example of generic code that takes both string and
numeric types that uses operators. Sorting/searching is one but as I already
said the built in string operators are not sufficient for collation cases.

Even generic code that “only works on unsigned types”.

More than 90% of all generic code is collections. Operators are not needed for
these.