On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 1:30 AM Ivan Ivanyuk <ivanivanyuk1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for answering
>
> Why does it take so long to implement generics then? There is already an
> instrument in playground that works fine. Why not just roll it out and
> improve design, if needed, in next version?
>
> Having generics in 2021 means many projects will choose other languages in
> 2020, which will effectively mean 1 year of work in other language

Besides what other people have said, we believe, rightly or wrongly,
that language stability and backward compatibility are important
features for Go programmers.  We don't want to roll out a version of
generics that we then have to change in some incompatible way.  That
would force people to rewrite programs over time, which is painful,
and will decrease people's perception of Go as a stable and reliable
language.

Ian