On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 at 23:30, Ian Lance Taylor <i...@golang.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 3:09 PM roger peppe <rogpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I do feel that the "all or nothing" nature of type parameter lists (if
> you specify one type parameter, you must explicitly specify all of the
> others too, even if they could otherwise be inferred) is likely to get in
> the way here. I'd like to see a way to specify some type parameters and not
> others, so that constraint type inference can work even when, for example,
> there's a generic return type parameter that can't be inferred from the
> arguments. We could potentially use an underscore for that.
>
> If I understand you correctly, we changed that when we added the
> constraint type inference section.  See the updated
>
> https://go.googlesource.com/proposal/+/refs/heads/master/design/go2draft-type-parameters.md#type-inference
> section.

Ah, that's useful and interesting, thanks. I suspect that being able to
selectively omit type parameters could be useful though - for when there's
no obvious ordering to the parameters and you want to infer some of the
earlier types in the list while specifying some later ones. Maybe in
practice it'll always be possible to use an explicit type conversion in a
value parameter to do this though, especially if Steven
Blenkinsop's ordering suggestions are followed (perhaps that could be a `go
vet` checki).

  cheers,
    rog.