On 8/14/20 11:27, 'Carla Pfaff' via golang-nuts wrote:
This has nothing to do with modules. You're still using the old GOPATH mode, because you're not in a directory with a go.mod file. GOPATH defaults to $HOME/go when it's not set (since 1.8), but that's where you chose to put your Go installation. This is not allowed. Either install Go to a different location, or set GOPATH to a different location.

Isn't this the default location?  I just untarred the distribution...

The default gobin is ~/go/bin, no?  So I should be untarring in ~, no?