On Friday, 21 August 2020 at 16:46:22 UTC+2 bbse...@gmail.com wrote:

> All constraints except "any" specify a constraint for the type. A
> Stringer constraint will ensure that the type has String() string
> method. "any" is a lack of constraint.

The empty interface / any is a constraint that ensures that the type has at
least 0 methods and all of these 0 methods must match the 0 methods of the
interface. An empty purse is still a purse, an empty constraint is still a
constraint.

> My problem is the attractiveness of "any" as a return type.

I don't see why anybody would find it attractive as a return type. People
don't use the empty interface because they like it so much, but because Go
doesn't have parametric polymorphism / "generics" yet. There are many
programming languages that have a named top type and it is rarely abused.
Programmers want to write type safe code if they can.