On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 7:02 PM Nishanth Shanmugham <
nishanth.gerr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If it is intended at simplification for parsers, […] If it is intended to
> improve readability for readers of generic code

I would argue that this is not a dichotomy. On the contrary: In general, a
language that's easier to parse mechanically is also easier to parse by a
human. The converse isn't always true, but still, optimizing for mechanical
parsers also tends to help humans.

> I think that the opposite is happening. Writing `any/interface{}` for a
> non-constrained type adds more clutter than it contributes to reading
> uniformity. It is common in languages such as TypeScript and Java for a
> non-constrained type to be simply written as "T", which in my experience,
> has been readable and clutter-free.

The choice isn't really between writing
[T]/[T Foo],
or writing
[T any]/[T Foo].
It's between the latter and
[type T]/[type T Foo].

So, assuming the first one isn't an option, do you still find the last one
preferable over the second one?