On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 2:17 PM Jay Conrod <jaycon...@google.com> wrote:

> I was initially going to suggest adding the module subdirectories as
> requirements to the main go.mod, then replacing those with the subdirectories.
>
> module example.com/m
>
> go 1.15
>
> require (
>   example.com/other1 v0.0.0
>   example.com/other2 v0.0.0
>   example.com/m/submod v0.0.0
> )
>
> replace (
>   example.com/other1 => ./staging/src/example.com/other1
>   example.com/other2 => ./staging/src/example.com/other2
>   example.com/m/submod v0.0.0 => ./submod
> )
>

> I think you might have tried this already. It gives the same "main module ...
> does not contain package" error. I believe that's a bug. I've opened #43733
> to track it.

Interesting.  If that's a bug, then maybe I'll be able to do what I
need once fixed.

> In general, it should be possible to give 'go list' an absolute or relative
> path (starting with ./ or ../) to any directory containing a package which is
> part of any module in the build list. For example, some tools list
> directories in the module cache to find out what package a .go file belongs
> to.
>
> As a workaround, you could put a go.mod in an otherwise empty directory (in
> /tmp or something), then require the relevant modules from the repo and
> replace them with absolute paths. Then you can run 'go list' in that
> directory with absolute paths of package directories.

Interesting - is the difference the absolute paths vs relative?

I hoped maybe `-modfile` would do the same trick, but alas not:

```
$ (cd /tmp/gomodhack/; go list /tmp/go-list-modules/submod/used/)
example.com/m/submod/used

$ go list --modfile /tmp/gomodhack/go.mod /tmp/go-list-modules/submod/used/
main module (tmp) does not contain package tmp/submod/used
```

It also fails some cases:

```
 (cd /tmp/gomodhack/; go list /tmp/go-list-modules/submod/used/)
example.com/m/submod/used
thockin@thockin-glaptop4 go-list-modules main /$ (cd /tmp/gomodhack/;
go list /tmp/go-list-modules/staging/src/example.com/other1/used/)
go: finding module for package example.com/m/staging/src/example.com/other1/used
cannot find module providing package
example.com/m/staging/src/example.com/other1/used: unrecognized import
path "example.com/m/staging/src/example.com/other1/used": reading
https://example.com/m/staging/src/example.com/other1/used?go-get=1:
404 Not Found
```

It seems that is because the "main" (top-level dir) go.mod has
`replace` directives with relative paths, which kubernetes really
does.

> Incidentally, golang.org/x/tools/go/packages will call 'go list' under the
> hood in module mode. go/build might do the same, depending on how it's
> invoked. 'go list' may be the best thing to use if it gives the information
> you need.

Yeah, I noticed.  When GO111MODULE=off, everything I am doing is much
faster.  I'm wary of depending on that forever, though.

Stepping back, I fear I am pushing the square peg into a round hole.
Let me restate what I am trying to do.

I want to run a slow codegen process only if the packages it depends
on have ACTUALLY changed (mtime is a good enough proxy) and I don't
know a priori which packages need codegen.  I want to scan the file
tree, find the files that need codegen, check their deps, and only
then run the codegen.

We do this today with `go list` and GO111MODULE=off, but I was advised
at some point that x/tools/go/packages was the future-safe approach.

If there's a better way, I am all ears.

Tim
GO111MODULE=off